8.23.2011

Artist Profile: Alen MacWeeney, "Irish Travelers, Tinkers No More"



I play an Irish drum, its called a bodhran. Its a sort of old tribal drum made out of a sheep skin pulled tight around a wood frame. I try and go once a week,  meet up at a pub and join in on a session. At the session there are fiddles, flutes, tin whistles, guitar, bodhrans and boxes (a type of accordion). Everyone jams out to traditional Irish tunes and some new ones. Its very cathartic and creative. I used to play a the Irish Arts Center in New York. Its one of my favorite things to do, very relaxing.

I went to a photography show up at the IAC about 4 years ago, they were showing this photographer, Alen MacWeeney. I was absolutely speechless. There were these photographs on the wall that reached into my soul. They were from another time. They were in fact of the Irish travelers. I really fell in love with these photographs and luckily enough Alen was there giving a talk about his time with the travellers.  I got to know him and soon enough we were doing our own photo test. I feel very lucky and honored to have been able to work with such a talented and moving artist. I want to show you some of my favorite pieces of his work form a Book he called "Irish Travelers, Tinkers no More".

























Here is a photo he took of me. Caitlin Manley
Caitlin Manley

Caitlin Manley
Caitlin Manley

Caitlin Manley

Caitlin Manley


Caitlin Manley



Check out his other work here: http://www.alenmacweeney.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment